Long gone are the days of if you missed a San Jose Sharks game, you hoped for some highlights on your local nightly news, perhaps a mention on ESPN, or you waited for the next mornings paper to find out what happened. Today, we have 24/7 sports networks like ESPN, Fox Sports 1 and the NHL Network to give us the national sports news. We also have our Regional Sports Networks, CSN-BayArea and CSN-California. While CSN-California does provide pre/post-game shows for San Jose Sharks games with the occasional special, the Sharks hold up the totem pole that prominently displays the 49ers, Raiders, Giants, Athletics, and Warriors, for the most part. So besides TV, where can fans go for San Jose Sharks related information? Let’s break it down, by media:
For Bay Area locals, your options are KNBR680, KNBR1050, and 95.7 The Game, all of which can be heard via mobile devices using the iHeart and TuneIn Radio apps. While both stations ordinarily treat the Sharks as interlopers, KNBR does feature Sharks segments regularly. On KNBR680, the show that features Sharks talk with any regularity is Tom Tolbert, on 3-7pm. While he hasn’t replaced his weekly Wednesday segment with Drew Remenda, he will do a Sharks segment a couple times a week. For Sharks talk on KNBR1050, the choice is Ted Ramey, on from 12pm-3pm. Ted typically has at least one Sharks guest on per week, whether it’s a player, coach, or broadcaster. Ted also currently holds the title of “only local sports talker that will take calls from Sharks fans”. Ted is always more than happy to talk to Sharks fans on the air and you can tell he’s an ardent supporter of Team Teal.
What if you want sports talk that covers anything other than your favorite hockey team in San Jose? 95.7 The Game is the station for you. Unfortunately, their idea of covering the Sharks is a mention during their 30 second update, despite the fact that their new program director is Canadian. Sadly, the only time 95.7 The Game acknowledges a hockey team in the Bay Area is during the playoffs even though their sister station, KUFX, is the flagship station for San Jose Sharks hockey. There have been rumors about a regular feature on their morning show during game days, but has not been confirmed.
If you still want some Sharks talk on game day, you can always listen to the opponent’s flagship station or the local sports station in that city using the iHeart and TuneIn Radio apps. It’s also a great way to see how the other NHL markets view the San Jose Sharks.
On The Web
Of course, the official Sharks website is overloaded with Sharks information. However, if you’re looking for interaction with other Sharks fans, the site of choice is the HFBoards Sharks Forum which features topics on everything from game day threads, to prospect reviews, to sweater and goal song debate.
If you don’t have a Twitter account, stop reading this now and go download the app. There are several great Twitter accounts that always have some of the latest information, including:
- Pucknology – @pucknology – Official Twitter for Pucknology.net
- San Jose Sharks – @SanJoseSharks – Official Twitter
- Brodie Brazil – @BrodieBrazilCSN – Host of Sharks Pre & Postgame Live
- Kevin Kurz – @KKurzCSN – Sharks Insider for CSN
- Curtis Pashelka – @ – Sharks beat writer, Bay Area News Group
- Chelena Goldman – @ChelenaGoldman – Sharks writer, Bay Area Sports Guy
- Ross McKeon – @rossmckeon – Sharks writer, San Francisco Chronicle
If you prefer using you ears more than your eyes, try out a Sharks podcast.
- Pucknology After Dark – The only podcast that goes live after every Sharks game. Every game is recapped along with stories around the league. Past guests have included Brodie Brazil, Ross McKeon, Chelena Goldman, and NHL Ties
- Teal Tinted Glasses Podcast – A weekly Sharks podcast that summarizes everything that happened in Teal Town as well as Ian’s “Hockey 101” to help beginning fans learn the game.
- The Gackle Report – A daily Sharks podcast featuring the Gackle brothers and special guests.
- Bay Area Hockey Talk – Hockey talk with a focus on youth, high school & college hockey
- Dudes On Hockey – 2 dudes podcasting about the San Jose Sharks